Monday, September 24, 2007

roads

If someone had asked me a few a years ago if I would like to see my future, I’d have said “OK” and if they had shown me a picture of me standing on a street corner in Boston selling scarves I would have said “Screw you buddy.” Funny to know they were right. The turns of life can come so smoothly at times where the next one isn’t even in sight, just clear sailing straight ahead, but then you hit those slippery spots where your struggling to hang on. Recently it feels like I’m in the mountains, just working my best to get to the top of one peek just to coast downhill on the other side, still only seeing as far as the next peek ahead of me. Gets me worried not knowing what’s on the other side.
Hoping that these peeks keep getting higher and that I’m working my way up, my way “to the top.” Or could it be a range of mountains so wide that I’ll never see the end and the highest one was somewhere I’ve already rushed over so I could get to the next one. That’s what gives a little credit to idea that I could just turn around and roll along those flat simple roads with turns here and there, just not too many. Hey you could just toss the car and walk or stand your way to forever…
A gift and a curse to this life is that you’re forced to be inside of it. The best things I’ve found to do with it is explore along the way. We’re all explorers really traveling along our roads moving over different terrain. Walking along the same streets, but at the same time in totally different worlds, everything from heaven to hell is out there right now. From person to person we travel through the time in our life surrounded by it. Chasing, catching, avoiding and being caught it’s all there. Rarely we’re able to stop, to see the relation to things, the mystery, the relativity.
If someone stopped to ask me now if I’d like to see my future, I’d like to say I wouldn’t. That the road itself is the reward and the ups and downs of the mountains I’m on are a roller coaster ride to enjoy. The excitement to heat up my blood and bring me safely into a happy, healthy, hundred years. Most likely though I would and after looking in disbelief, say to the guy, “screw you buddy.”

No comments: