Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Project Runway, Boston IFF

11 minutes, a film about Project Runway's winner, season 1, Jay Mc(something) I should just google this, but I think the fact that I don't remember really says something. The showing was at the Independant Film Festival of Boston http://www.iffboston.org/index.php and the film itself was good.
Going beyond design and performance under pressure, you see Manhattan style sweat shops, executive "suggestions" and all around day in the life...Now this designer who managed to pull off his own show in Bryant Park comes out post screening with the directors for some Q&A. Desperate for attention and armed with a mix of raunchy and self depricating jokes Jay seems to be geniunley happy chatting it up with the crowd and to throwing in where his clothes can be bought online or his upcoming trip to QVC.
I made it a point to talk a little more and to see if his over the topness is a cover up for something very deep and protected or shallow and opertunistic.
-Introduction
-raunchy joke I didn't catch
-"Oh, you're married!"
It went from there...Dissapointing, he wasn't in the mood to be honest and just blew it all away with "I don't really care." He does care, the same way we have all cared about something and had reality impose on our dream. Had that dream surrouned, bumped and cornered into a normal life.
Giving up isn't the phrase I want to use, but something came off as beaten and to play the character who is, obnoxiously 'over it' rather than an honest admission of, I'd like more, left a very sour taste in my mouth.

No comments: